Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Believers Worth Bragging On


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1 Thessalonians 2 (click the link)


KEY VERSES:
But we behaved gently when we were among you, like a devoted mother nursing and cherishing her own children. (1 Thessalonians 2:7, AMP)

For you recall our hard toil and struggles, brethren. We worked night and day [and plied our trade] in order not to be a burden to any of you [for our support] while we proclaimed the glad tidings (the Gospel) of God to you. You are witnesses, [yes] and God [also], how unworldly and upright and blameless was our behavior toward you believers [who adhered to and trusted in and relied on our Lord Jesus Christ]. For you know how, as a father [dealing with] his children, we used to exhort each of you personally, stimulating and encouraging and charging you. To live lives worthy of God, Who calls you into His own kingdom and the glorious blessedness [into which true believers will enter after Christ’s return]. (1 Thessalonians 2:9-12, AMP)


FYI:
Thessalonica, now known as Thessaloniki, is one of a few ancient cities that still exist today.  The city and the surrounding area currently boasts nearly a million inhabitants making it the second largest city in modern day Greece.


OVERVIEW:
This section (chapter 2) of Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians is a sweet acknowledgement of how very proud he is of them and the way they live out their faith in God.  After coming away from being badly mistreated in Philippi, Paul recalls how readily the Thessalonians accepted his preaching, not as some human opinion, but as it truly is—as God’s Word. 

Paul lovingly refers to them as brothers and sisters.  Last Sunday, Pastor Greg asked if some of us grew up in churches where other believers were referred to as “brother” or “sister.”   I sure did.  That term is supported in Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians and comes from the Greek word adelphoi which means all believers, both male and female as part of God’s family.  That’s us!  We are all Brothers and Sisters in God’s family. 


REFLECTIONS:
I’ve read this chapter over and over in various translations and no matter which version, I find myself smiling as I read it.  No chastising, just praise.  I know Paul’s heart must have been so full of love for these Believers.  In fact, I’m thinking they were Paul’s “Crowning Glory” at this point of his ministry.  He couldn’t brag on them enough.  It wasn’t just words on paper… you could FEEL his love for them.

Paul used two visuals… as both a mother and a father.  As a mother, I could visualize the Amplified Bible version of verse 7:  But we behaved gently when we were among you, like a devoted mother nursing and cherishing her own children.  Then in verse 11-12:  For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.  What a sweet picture.

Every month when I volunteer at Discovery or even as I read some my fellow PRF Brother’s and Sister’s Blogs here, I’m very aware that not all of us had nurturing and encouraging parents.  God wants to use us as Role Models to fill in for each other where our birth parents fell short.  If we accept other Believers right where they are, then gently cherish, encourage, comfort and urge each other on our Faith Walks, what a church we can be!  The word will get out in “all of Macedonia” (our community) as was true of the Thessalonians.  I can brag on PRF!  Are we perfect?  No, but we ARE a church that accepts people right where they are and I feel encouragement from MY Brothers and Sisters on my Faith Walk.  

When I first visited PRF in the late 1980’s, I was struggling, big time.  Larry and I had opened a new business (a travel agency) and it was taking its toll on us.  I had been a “stay-at-home” mom for about a decade, taking care of all the details of running our home and raising our two children.  When I was needed to help start the new business, we didn’t transition well and our roles didn’t change much at home.  I couldn’t do it all and began to be resentful.  Although I was raised in church, we had not even looked for a church home in the four years since moving to this area.  Like many first time visitors to church, I needed to feel the love and encouragement that one expects to receive from other Christians.  Feeling so tired and frustrated with my home life, I didn’t know how much longer I could hang in there… and honestly, was planning my exit.  I knew I needed more of Christ in my life and decided to come to church—with or without Larry.  I loaded up the kids and will never forget that Sunday.  I attended a Ladies Sunday School class and was met with all the love and encouragement verses 7-12 describes.  

That was a turning point for both Larry and me.  We started coming to church as a FAMILY and Larry and I began attending a “couples” class.  We needed to experience the love, prayers, encouragement and yes, sometimes correction that fellow Believers can give… in love… to turn our marriage back around.  I THANK GOD that we had Brothers and Sisters around us, who loved Christ and us enough, to speak truth and love into our lives and marriage!


TODAY'S CHALLENGE:
Get to know those “First Time Visitors” in our church—they probably need a little extra “warm” as my friend, Cinda, says.  Who in our PRF family or community needs a little extra love and encouragement?  Pray and ask God to show you how HE wants YOU to respond.  Don’t wait for someone else to do it.  If God puts them on your heart, He wants you to do something.  It doesn’t have to be something big, or extravagant, or expensive… although it may be.  I’ve been encouraged by a card in the mail, some flowers left on my desk anonymously, a phone call, a hug, someone telling me how I’ve blessed them.  There are so many ways of “encouraging, comforting and urging… to live lives worthy of God”.  Ask God to show you what you can do to make a difference in someone’s life today.  THEN DO IT!


PRAYER:
Lord, help me get out of my own selfishness and be willing to help another.  Show me WHO and WHAT to do.  Give me the determination to follow through with Your instructions.  Fill my heart with LOVE like Paul had for his Brothers and Sisters in Your family, so that I can share Your LOVE with everyone I come in contact with.  Lord, may our church body become known far and wide for loving others as the Thessalonians did.  Guide Pastor Greg in wisdom, courage, strength and love as he leads this family of Believers.  May Your church grow in numbers and in wisdom for YOUR Glory.   In Jesus’ sweet name I pray.  Amen!


WHO AM I?
Hmmmm.  I’m just ME!  Plain and simple.  Broken in some ways, restored in others.  I have a massive love for others that is unexplainable, except for Christ.  I feel my best when I am gently loving others, encouraging, comforting, and urging people on toward freedom in Christ… and I thank God for so many friends who do the same for me.  Next month, Larry and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary.  God picked him out for me and I couldn’t be more pleased.  I’m so thankful I walked into this church so many years ago instead of walking out on our life together!  I am Georgia Arms and I am Blessed… and Highly Favored! 

No comments:

Post a Comment