PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Isaiah 40 (click the link)
OVERVIEW OF THE FEATURED SCRIPTURE:
It was hard for me to narrow this chapter down. If you need comfort and encouragement (or even if you don’t)—READ THE WHOLE CHAPTER! It will brighten your day and give you a fresh perspective of just how ALMIGHTY our God is.
REFLECTIONS:
I’m writing this earlier than I normally would because I will be unavailable when it’s due. There were video clips on the news last night about two groups of people protesting in the streets. One was in Rome demonstrating for gay marriage, where lesbian women had stripped off their shirts with the words “In Gay we Trust” painted on their bodies and were shouting hysterically at the Pope to “shut up.” CRAZY hysteria! They didn’t want him telling his listeners that gay marriage was wrong. I watched that clip shaking my head from side to side… amazed at how depraved we (the people of planet earth) have become. It wasn’t that I was surprised some would protest—it was their expressions and the way they were going about it that seemed so depraved to me. In the same news story, the next video clip was much more civilized as people in France, where there is a high Muslim population, demonstrated to their government to keep only marriage legal between a man and a woman. Such a drastic difference in the tone of the demonstrations. I expect that we will see things fall deeper in depravity as the time for Christ to come back for us draws nearer. He said it would, so I guess we really shouldn’t be surprised by it. But I still am.
I don’t know of a time in my lifetime that was more chaotic worldwide than right now. I know others feel the same way. It helps me to remember the M.O. of our enemy is to: “steal, kill, and destroy.” (“M.O.” is an abbreviation for the Latin "Modus Operandi" AKA "Method of Operation" and is used to describe the method someone uses to do something.) I get discouraged when I see Christians stand by and do nothing as our world deteriorates around us. I try to stay informed as best I can with a very biased media. I believe God wants us to stand up for what’s right. I’m saddened when I see other faiths (or those with no faith) fight harder for what they believe than Christians do. No, I’m not wanting to start a Holy War—just concerned that the longer we sit on the sidelines, the more likely we will lose our freedom to worship as we choose in America. We have already lost ground in many areas.
Okay… that’s pretty heavy and this chapter is NOT! The very first verse of this chapter says: “Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.” No one knows better than God, what we are facing today. He has NOT forgotten His people. This chapter is to encourage you. It spells out the MAJESTY of our God—The Creator of All You Can See or Imagine. Please read the whole chapter. It’s well worth the 3-5 minutes of your time. I can’t summarize it any better than The Message says it. Here’s a portion of the chapter:
FEATURED SCRIPTURE:
12-18 Who has scooped up the ocean
in his two hands,
or measured the sky between his
thumb and little finger,
Who has put all the earth’s dirt in
one of his baskets,
weighed each mountain and hill?
Who could ever have told God what
to do
or taught him his business?
What expert would he have gone to
for advice,
what school would he attend to
learn justice?
What god do you suppose might have
taught him what he knows,
showed him how things work?
Why, the nations are but a drop in
a bucket,
a mere smudge on a window.
Watch him sweep up the islands
like so much dust off the floor!
There aren’t enough trees in
Lebanon
nor enough animals in those vast
forests
to furnish adequate fuel and
offerings for his worship.
All the nations add up to simply
nothing before him—
less than nothing is more like it.
A minus.
So who even comes close to being
like God?
To whom or what can you compare
him? …
21-24 Have you not
been paying attention?
Have you not been listening?
Haven’t you heard these stories all
your life?
Don’t you understand the foundation
of all things?
God sits high above the round ball
of earth.
The people look like mere ants.
He stretches out the skies like a
canvas—
yes, like a tent canvas to live
under.
He ignores what all the princes say
and do.
The rulers of the earth count for
nothing.
Princes and rulers don’t amount to
much.
Like seeds barely rooted, just
sprouted,
They shrivel when God blows on
them.
Like flecks of chaff, they’re gone
with the wind.
25-26 “So—who is like
me?
Who holds a candle to me?” says The
Holy.
Look at the night skies:
Who do you think made all this?
Who marches this army of stars out
each night,
counts them off, calls each by name
—so magnificent! so powerful!—
and never overlooks a single one?
27-29 Why would you
ever complain, O Jacob,
or, whine, Israel, saying,
“God has lost track of me.
He doesn’t care what happens to
me”?
Don’t you know anything? Haven’t
you been listening?
God doesn’t come and go. God lasts.
He’s Creator of all you can see or
imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t
pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and
out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
TODAY'S CHALLENGE:
- Read ALL of Chapter 40.
- Thank GOD for WHO He is and His unwavering love and support for His people.
- Pray for the lost to truly come to know Jesus.
- While we are still IN this world, we are to be salt and light for those around us.
- Do a random act of kindness for someone THIS WEEK! Anonymously.
PRAYER:
Lord, we fall so short of who we really are in You. Help us do our part to represent You in a manner in which You are proud of us, Your children. Help us love others without judging them and to help those in need. Let us fly with wings of eagles, run and not grow faint. Help us never forget Who our Daddy is—that You have angels watching over us at all times. We have no reason to stress over the world situations… You’ve got it! Give us courage to always do our part in what is right. Thank You that You NEVER give up on us.
WHO AM I?
I’m Georgia Arms. I feel like the most blessed person I know and I’m thankful
for a God who knows me intimately. This past week Larry and I cruised with family and friends. That’s always fun! Here’s a playful picture from the trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment