Monday, July 1, 2013

Submit to Rulers in Authority. But What If…?



PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

11 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh. (Romans 13:1-14, NIV)


THE MAIN IDEA:
We have been on the subject of submission for the last couple of weeks, and this passage takes us into the political arena.  When we have elections, whether they are for local, state, or national leaders, this passage says to me that those who are elected are established by God!!  What a responsibility those elected officials have!!  They should act as though Almighty God has put them into authority… because He has.  OK, since that’s the case, then we should submit to their authority, right?  I mean, that’s what it says, right?  But what if…

  • They aren’t the person I voted for?
  • They are acting in a way I don’t agree with?
  • They are passing laws I don’t agree with?
  • They pass laws that are contrary to the Word of God?
  • They spend money for programs or projects that I think are wrong or corrupt?
  • They ask me to do or support something that is scripturally wrong or forbidden?


REFLECTIONS:
How is the God-fearing, obedient Christian supposed to act in these cases?  Well, certainly I’m no theologian, but I’ve got a couple of thoughts based on scripture and based on the character of God.  

First, if anyone demands that we do something that is clearly anti-biblical, we have the right and indeed the duty as Christians to oppose them.  I’m thinking of situations like the Hitler reign in Nazi Germany; one of the most devoted Christians of that day was Dietrich Bonheoffer and he opposed Nazism and was martyred for it.  We certainly have the right and even the duty to oppose regimes that are anti-Christian.  However that is not what this passage, and indeed the entirety of Romans 13 is really talking about.  It’s talking about civil authority, and the laws put down to “keep the peace” in a society. 

Look at the social/political situation when this was written by Paul.  The Romans were in authority and certainly not God-fearing or God-honoring, but he still wrote this passage; saying that those in authority are put there by God.  When Jesus was asked if it’s right to pay taxes to the Roman government, his answer was, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”  

Submission to authority is not really up to our feelings about whether we like or agree with that authority, it is submission to authority for God’s sake.  In fact, are we not directed to pray for those in authority over us?  Even if they are our “political enemies,” are we not to pray for our enemies too??  

Right now in America there are a lot of things that the Congress and the President and the Supreme Court are doing that I personally disagree with.  But according to this chapter, I’m still to respect them, pray for them, and give them the honor due them as the authority established by God.  

Perhaps a good way to look at this comes from an example in a WWII-movie.  One soldier gets promoted to Major or Colonel or something, while his colleague remains a Captain and is bitter about being passed over for this promotion.  Well, they walk past each other and the Captain doesn’t salute the Major (because he doesn’t like the Major and feels he was wrongly promoted above him).  The Major stops him and says very politely, “You salute the rank, not the man.”  I think this is the same way that we should submit to those in authority who we either don’t like or don’t agree with.  We honor them as being established by God (which they are!); we may disagree with their politics and their actions, but we “salute” their position of authority.


PRAYER:
Lord, your Word has a lot to say about submission and authority.  Help me to understand this in YOUR terms, not mine.  Give me the strength to stand up against rulers who are ungodly, the humility to submit to those I disagree with, and the wisdom to keep these straight.


WHO AM I?
Well, I’ll tell you who I’m not; I’m no theologian.  I’m Alan Wassel… and you’re not!!

No comments:

Post a Comment