Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Into His Hands



PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1        In you, LORD, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness.
2        Turn your ear to me,
    come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress to save me.
3        Since you are my rock and my fortress,
    for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
4        Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
    for you are my refuge.
5        Into your hands I commit my spirit;
    deliver me, LORD, my faithful God.

6        I hate those who cling to worthless idols;
    as for me, I trust in the LORD.
7        I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
    for you saw my affliction
    and knew the anguish of my soul.
8        You have not given me into the hands of the enemy
    but have set my feet in a spacious place.

9        Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress;
    my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
    my soul and body with grief.
10      My life is consumed by anguish
    and my years by groaning;
my strength fails because of my affliction,
    and my bones grow weak.
11      Because of all my enemies,
    I am the utter contempt of my neighbors
and an object of dread to my closest friends—
    those who see me on the street flee from me.
12      I am forgotten as though I were dead;
    I have become like broken pottery.
13      For I hear many whispering,
    “Terror on every side!”
They conspire against me
    and plot to take my life.

14      But I trust in you, LORD;
    I say, “You are my God.”
15      My times are in your hands;
    deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
    from those who pursue me.
16      Let your face shine on your servant;
    save me in your unfailing love.
17      Let me not be put to shame, LORD,
    for I have cried out to you;
but let the wicked be put to shame
    and be silent in the realm of the dead.
18      Let their lying lips be silenced,
    for with pride and contempt
    they speak arrogantly against the righteous.

19      How abundant are the good things
    that you have stored up for those who fear you,
that you bestow in the sight of all,
    on those who take refuge in you.
20      In the shelter of your presence you hide them
    from all human intrigues;
you keep them safe in your dwelling
    from accusing tongues.

21      Praise be to the LORD,
    for he showed me the wonders of his love
    when I was in a city under siege.
22      In my alarm I said,
    “I am cut off from your sight!”
Yet you heard my cry for mercy
    when I called to you for help.

23      Love the LORD, all his faithful people!
    The LORD preserves those who are true to him,
    but the proud he pays back in full.
24      Be strong and take heart,
    all you who hope in the LORD. (Psalm 31, NIV)


REFLECTIONS:
Psalm 31 is one of David’s exile psalms. He wrote it when Saul was chasing him through the rough hill country of Judah. David was going from cave to cave and from hiding place to hiding place, constantly seeking refuge from the rampaging ruler of Israel.

During his exile, David discovered that God’s hand was more than adequate for every need of every day. In fact, David learned that God's hand was not only mighty to save but always “open” so as to bestow blessing upon blessing.

As we focus our thoughts on verses 1-8, I'd like to encourage you to take note of how David spoke about hands. As a shepherd he, no doubt, knew the importance of hands. His hands had to carry the shepherd’s crook, the staff. In his hands, a slingshot was turned into a powerful weapon. And, later, his hands learned to wield a sword with skill. Occasionally, David would exchange his sword for a harp; in his hands, this instrument would bring forth beautiful music. The hands that had been in battle produced beautiful music for the glory of God.

David also talked about the hand of the enemy. “You have not given me into the hands of the enemy” (verse 8). “My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hands of my enemies” (verse 15). We do have enemies—some whom we can see and name, others whom are invisible to our eyes. The Scriptures warn us: “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). Our enemies—seen and unseen—would like to destroy us, but God’s hand protects us.

“Into your hand I commit my spirit; deliver me, LORD, my faithful God” (verse 5). This was the prayer of Jewish boys and girls in the Old Testament times. Whenever he went to bed, the little child would say, “Into your hands I commit my spirit.” Similarly, when our Lord Jesus Christ gave his life for us on the cross, he said, “It is finished! Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (John 19:30; Luke 23:46). When we commit our life into God’s hands, we don’t have to worry about any other hands—because his hands protect us, provide for us, and guide us. After describing himself as the Good Shepherd and we as his sheep, Jesus said of us: “No one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one” (John 10:27-30).

It is good for us to depend on God’s hand—the hand of provision, protection, and guidance. What are your needs today? Have you asked God to provide for them? Depend on the hand of God; you will find him faithful.


REFLECTIONS:
As the beloved sheep of your pasture, we give thanks to you, Lord, for your powerful hands. In your hands, we find protection and provision. In your hands, we find comfort and stability. In your hands, we find the help and healing we need. We are surrounded by enemies on every side—enemies who accuse, slander, and persecute your beloved people. But we rejoice, for no one can snatch us out of your hands!


WHO AM I?
I am Tres Sansom, and I rejoice to know that my life is in God's hands! As I look back over my days, I am astounded at the ways that God has protected me. I've made so many foolish decisions. I've put myself in so many dangerous situations. But God has been faithful to keep me safe. In his hands, I've not only found safety but abundant provision for my every need. And, even more so, his hands have lavished my life with blessing upon blessing. I found God's hands to be incredibly generous, always open to my every call for grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment