PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
James 2 (click the link)
KEY PASSAGE:
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. (James 2:2, NIV)
REFLECTIONS:
I am 31 years old, and have been in church my entire life. For all of those 31 years (well, those that I remember) I have heard the debate over Paul vs. James, time and time again. Faith vs. Works. Who was right?
It has never ceased to amaze me when people say the Bible is “up for interpretation.” Really? You can no more interpret the Bible, that you can interpret the word “and.” It is what it is. It means what it means. It doesn’t change. So is the word of God. Therefore, whenever I hear of a “controversy” in the Bible, it strikes me as funny. God does not contradict himself.
Even so, the controversy of faith and works is one that has wound itself through hundreds of years of Christianity. Those trying to dispel the gospel often use the faith/works controversy, stating that Paul and James’ take on faith and works are contradictory. But we as Christians know that the Word of God is infallible. How then can these two seem to take such different stances? It’s very simple: they didn’t.
In Galatians 2:16 Paul says: "We know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified."
Pretty straightforward, right? Paul is saying that justification can only come from faith and not by works of the law.
On the other hand, James writes in 2:18-19: “But someone will say, ‘You have faith; I have deeds.’ Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.”
Now, James Is telling us that faith without works is useless. Contradictory? It would seem that way, but we know God better than that.
The understanding comes from knowing what each person meant by what they said. Paul is referring to spiritual faith, the uttermost trusting in Jesus for your salvation. James is referring to an intellectual faith, a faith in knowing that Jesus Christ is who he claimed to be. This is evident when James says that even the demons believe. Obviously the demons don’t have a spiritual faith in Jesus, but they know, and have faith, that he is who he claims to be.
The second part of understanding comes from understanding what each meant by works/deeds. Paul tells us that no one can be justified by the works of the law. The Jews of the time had a checks and balance system in their religion. As long as their list of laws that they obeyed was longer than the list of laws they didn’t obey, they thought all was well. Paul is telling us that no amount of works of the law is going to save you at the end of the day, that your salvation only comes from Jesus Christ.
James, on the other hand, is speaking to a completely different matter. James is telling us that if we have faith in Jesus Christ then good deeds is the outward showing of that faith. You can’t help but want to do good and to follow in the ways of Jesus when you believe in him with your whole heart. If you have faith, but do nothing with it, then are you any better than the demons that also have faith? Without the outward showing of your faith, then what good are you doing?
In John 15:5 Jesus said: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” James is restating this sentiment: if you abide in Jesus, you will produce much fruit. If you are not producing fruit, then your faith is dead.
Now that we have settled that debate, how is your faith looking these days?
POINT OF ACTION:
Today, think of ways that you can demonstrate your faith through the way that you live. Whether it’s taking your neighbors’ trash to the street, giving lunch to a homeless person, or simply smiling and having kind words for everyone you see today, let your faith shine through.
PRAYER:
Lord, we know that your word is the truth. Open our eyes and hearts to understand the meaning of your word. Help us to grow our faith so that it pours out of us into everything we do. Everywhere we go, help us to seek and find ways to do good to spread your love. Amen.
WHO AM I?
I am Amanda Preece, and I'm the most blessed person I
know. I am a mother to four beautiful
children and wife to one wonderful man.
My sisters are my best friends and I am surrounded by the best group of
family and friends a girl could ask for. I have the best job in the world as
the Children’s Minister at PRF. I was also suspiciously born without the
homemaking gene most other women seem to have,
but, being the blessed gal I am, I married a man who cooks, clean, does
the laundry and even sews (he’s my hero) leaving me to do the things I
enjoy! I am happiest when I am playing
board games with my kiddos or immersed in a good book.
No comments:
Post a Comment