Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gonna Serve Somebody!


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Galatians 1 (click the link)


FOCAL PASSAGE:
For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:10, NASB)


REFLECTIONS:
Paul is writing to the churches across the region of Galatia.  Something has happened in the churches, there is false teaching and people are falling away from the truth originally given to them about Jesus (hmmm, this part of history seems to repeat itself). Paul sends his greetings along with the “brethren” that are with him.  The Greek word for brethren here is also used in verse 11 when Paul addresses those in Galatia. It stems from adelphos—connected, from the womb, men and women gathered for a common belief. So this letter is from Paul, accompanied by those with a common belief, to several groups of misled believers. It is for all of us. Thank you Lord!

I was struck by Paul’s proclamation of authority in this chapter. He is claiming who he is in the Lord. There isn’t a sense of bragging the way I tend to think of bragging today, but he is quite adamant about his ministry and his revelation received through Jesus Christ. Paul not only claims the Lord, he also claims who he is. He is a bond-servant of Christ. 

On Jan. 29th of this year, the last Sunday in January, I was awakened at 5am by a voice. It said, “Go read My word.” In my sleepy stupor I looked around our bedroom a little afraid and then recognized the voice as once again I heard, “Go read My word.” Not threatening, no screaming, just a sweet command. “OK,” I responded out loud. “If You are waking me up at 5am, what is it You want me to read?”  Next I heard, “James 1.”

Alrighty then, I headed to my Bible and turned to James 1 it begins, “James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad, greetings. Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” (James 1:1-3)

So what is a bond-servant? The quick definition is: after serving as a slave to a master for six years, the slave is said to have “worked off” the debt or service that was required.  The slave is now given the opportunity to leave with provisions supplied by the master so that the slave/servant is not empty handed. Or the servant may choose to stay in servanthood to the master. The servant makes a choice as to whom he/she will serve. When this happened it was as if they were bonded to the family not treated harshly or in intolerable conditions. This was a servanthood of choice… not by obligation or law. (You can read more specifics about bond-servants in Leviticus 25 and Exodus 15 and 21.)

The really cool part about being woken up at 5am is David and I first visited PRF on the last Sunday of January six years ago. It hit me. Life has been different with an ever-deepening walk with Christ. That morning I chose to continue this journey, rely on the Lord for endurance, receive whatever He has for me, and to be a bond-servant of Christ.

Proclaiming, “this I do believe and I will serve the Lord,” was incredibly powerful at 5:20am on Jan. 29. I crawled back in bed and got the best 45 minutes of sleep of the entire night!


POINT OF ACTION:
Be bold, be quite adamant about ministry and adamant enough to claim the revelation received through Christ Jesus.


PRAYER:
Lord, help me to not have fear of man, to feel I have to please everyone before I can please You. I want to lay myself down in order to be Your bond-servant without any hesitation or reneging. Lay on me the boldness you provide to be quite adamant about ministry and the revelation I have received through Jesus Christ. I desire to instill the teachings of Your word and only receive what You have for me. Have mercy on me Lord.


PS:
You’re fixin’ to walk through Galatians and hear this letter proclaiming the authority we—the body of believers—have in Christ. We need no other strength. 

You’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody


by Bob Dylan. Copyright © 1979 by Special Rider Music 


WHO AM I?
We just had a two week visit from my mom, Sarah. I love my mom and all that she represents in my life. I am grateful for a strong woman of faith being my role model and that still today she claims who she is in Christ. I’m Gayle Norris and I like the smell of fragrant fresh blossoms.



No comments:

Post a Comment