Friday, May 18, 2012

We Want to See a Sign from You


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Matthew 12 (click the link)


Reflections:
Matthew 12 is pivotal because it marks the first time that the Pharisees actually speak to Jesus.  In Chapter 9, the scribes talk among themselves (v. 3), talk to Jesus’ disciples (v. 11), and even talk to whomever would listen, I guess (v. 34).  Not once did they speak to Jesus.  Until now.  They were obviously around—they knew what Jesus was doing enough to have opinions about Him and His work.  So why had they waited until now to speak directly to Him?  I’m guessing it’s because they had seen Jesus reaching the crowds with His miracles; the people were beginning to believe His authority and even beginning to wonder if He might really be the Messiah.  They had sowed their seeds of disbelief by accusing Him of blasphemy and uncleanness, now was their moment to challenge Him face-to-face.  I can almost see them, puffed up a bit, maybe a little strut to their walk.  They were going to prove He was not worthy because He didn’t even keep the Sabbath (rabbinic) laws.  Not once, but twice they thought they had Him trapped.  Both times He turned the tables on them, making them appear ignorant of history (12:3-5) and incapable of measuring the value of life (12:11-12).  Oh, and get this:  in verse 7, Jesus even says, “…if you had known what this means, ‘I desire compassion, and not a sacrifice’…”  This was a perfect hit, because He had told them back in 9:13 to “…go and learn what this means, ‘I desire compassion, and not sacrifice’…”   Jesus is, simply put, awesome.  He effectively and decisively cuts the authority of the Pharisees into pieces.  And as He breaks down the Pharisees’ authority, He asserts His own both as the Lord of the Sabbath (v. 8) and as doing the work of the Spirit (vs. 25-32).

So, here Jesus is, doing these works of the Spirit, i.e. miracles, constantly.  He’s giving sight to this person, or opening the ears of that person.  He’s casting out demons and stretching out limbs that were withered.  The Pharisees have the nerve to not only accuse Him of doing this because He belongs to the devil, but then later say, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”  I wonder how loud of a sound it makes when God smacks His hand to His forehead?  As in, “Really?  You have got to be kidding Me!”  At least that’s how I would react!  The signs are all around them.  They are happening right in front of their eyes!

…………

I have to think:  are we really so different from the Pharisees?  Do we hesitate to attribute the miracles we encounter to the Lord?  Do we still seek more signs from Him even after all that He’s done?  Perhaps we’ve become so jaded we couldn’t recognize a miracle that does happen every day.  Yes, we encounter at least one miracle every day.  You can research the list of miracles in the Bible that Jesus performed and not one of them (that I found) will list what I’m talking about.  I think that is tragic because it is quite possibly the most important miracle of all!  I will give you a “hint” for this very profound miracle that I believe we take for granted:  new mercy.  Christ has forgiven our sins.  We are no longer weighed down by shame.  Some sins may bring long-lasting consequences, but we are clean before God.  I cannot find the words to express how important it is for us to know this.  And I mean know it—to the depths of our beings.  It is the biggest, most miraculous thing ever, to be forgiven of our sins.  Sometimes I don’t think we really sit with the immensity of that.  You know why?  Because it’s uncomfortable.  As much as it’s popular to try to reduce the “us” versus “them” mentality in Christianity, there is a hardcore truth that exists and is mentioned time and again in the Bible.  There are people who are forgiven of their sins before God and there are people who are not.  When we honestly sit in the face of what we have received through Jesus’ death and resurrection, we have to honestly sit in the face of what others have not received.  This should pierce us to the core because Jesus left it with us to speak, show, and make disciples of His Way.  It is a miracle that He entrusted us to share.

Personally, I stink at speaking out about my Jesus to those who do not share my faith, so I have to put on a pile of grace and ask for God’s creativity.  Yesterday, as I was watching the expressionless faces and vacant eyes of those who shared the DC Metro with me, I realized I had to do something.  My heart was aching for each person I saw and I wished I was more—more vocal, more bold, more anything.  Then the Lord gave me an idea.  It’s not much, I know, but for this shy kid it feels monumental.  I vowed to look 10 people in the eyes each day I was here, praying that as my eyes hit theirs that Jesus would do THE miracle in their lives.  I shared a moment of panic, frustration, and laughter with one lady as we were almost taken out by a biker who apparently didn’t feel red lights applied to him.  A guard at the Capitol Building teased me and then told me how to get Senate and House gallery tickets.  Several people helped me find my way to various places.  In the hotel elevator a gentleman wished me good evening.  My favorite encounter happened at the Holocaust Memorial Museum.  A precious woman with tattoos on her face (I so wanted to ask her what they meant!) told me how the identification card she’d picked up at the entrance to the exhibit showed a little girl with the same birthday as hers.  What a cool discovery!  Sure, there was mutual engagement in each of these instances, but I purposed to find people; purposed to interact with them.  I realize these aren’t huge moments in anybody’s life.  They are moments, however, and in lives that are busy and full of isolation any moment that we connect with another human is a moment God can enter, bringing the miracle of His forgiveness of sin.


PRAYER:
Jesus, I simply stand in awe of You.  It is a miracle that You have forgiven me, that You continue to forgive me of my sins.  I know I fail You constantly, yet You never stop providing Your miraculous grace and mercy.  Thank You, thank You, thank You!!  I am humbled and speechless before You.  Please help me share You and Your miraculous forgiving power to everyone I encounter; give me boldness as I dare to look into the eyes of those around me.  I love, love, love You, Jesus!


WHO AM I?
I’m Beth Peeples, blessed wife of Max, proud mother of Steph (21) and Sam (20), and soft-hearted servant of two cats:  Tux and Tortie.  I love mountains, trees, and water.  Home is anywhere I see Jesus.  I love my family, my friends, my life, and my ever-lovin’ Savior.  Words often fail me, but apparently my facial expressions make up for that—as my 3-year old face can attest.

No comments:

Post a Comment