PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Luke 22 (click the link)
KEY VERSES:
Coming out, He went to the Mount of Olives, as He was accustomed, and His disciples also followed Him. When He came to the place, He said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:39-42, NKJV)
REFLECTIONS:
Luke 22 highlights the failings of man. Over and over again we see the failings of the flesh. It’s quite the sad chapter. The chapter begins with the plot to kill Jesus, wherein Judas agrees to betray Him to the chief priests (22:1-6). Verse 3 says that “Satan entered Judas.” This man was one the twelve, with Jesus day in and day out, someone who was a friend and cared for Jesus. Yet it was so easy for Satan to come in and turn his heart to greed.
After just participating in the very first Lord’s Supper, the disciples begin arguing about who is the greatest (22:24-30). As I read this, knowing what follows in chapter 22 and beyond, it makes me sad to think that Jesus had to spend His last evening with His disciples setting them straight for acting so childish. Again, jealousy in the flesh made all of these men fall into arguing about things that shouldn’t have mattered.
Jesus next predicts Peter’s denial. In my New King James version, verse 31 says, “And the Lord said, ‘Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.’” Wow. Jesus is flat out telling Peter that the devil’s going to be after him. What’s awesome is what Jesus says next: “But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” Jesus already knows that Peter’s denial is coming. But He also knows how that is going to make Peter feel, and He’s already praying that his faith doesn’t fail, and that Peter can use that experience to bolster other believers later. How cool is that of Jesus? He’s restoring Peter even before his fall. Peter’s reaction is where we once again get a glimpse of the flesh. “But he said to Him, ‘Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death’” (22:33). You would think by now that Peter would realize Jesus pretty much says the truth. Instead of accepting the fact that his loyalty might actually come into question, Peter lets his pride pop up. What’s that age old saying? Pride goeth before the fall… We’ll get back to Peter in a moment.
Verses 39-46 describe Jesus’ prayer in the garden. He asks them to pray, and what do they do? They fall asleep! Now, my Bible says that “He found them sleeping from sorrow” (22:45), which almost seems like Luke’s giving them an out. Jesus asked them to pray at a difficult time, and they let their flesh overtake them. How many times do I fall asleep on the job? How often do I fail a friend who’s asked for earnest prayers?
Jesus is then betrayed with a kiss by Judas, and handed over to the priests. And we’re back to Peter. Verses 54-62 describe Peter’s denial of Jesus. Just as Jesus said, Peter denies knowing Jesus three times in one night. Peter’s fear takes over and all of the sudden he’s lying to try to protect himself. What’s more in this is story, is that Peter does this practically in front of Jesus. “Immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. And the Lord turned and looked at Peter … So Peter went out and wept bitterly” (22:60b-62). Peter knew that Jesus knew of his denials, and he was grieved over failing Jesus.
Luke 22 ends with Jesus being mocked and beaten by those who held him captive, and facing the Sanhedrin. The Sanhedrin are so overcome by the failings of their flesh (anger, greed, fear, pride) that they allow Jesus’ trial to violate multiple Jewish legal rules such as meeting on the morning of a feast, meeting at Caiaphas’ home, trying a defendant without defense, and reaching a verdict in one day instead of the two that were required for capital cases. So over and over again we see man’s failings in chapter 22. It’s universal. From individual instances like Judas and Peter to corporate ones such as all twelve disciples and the entire Sanhedrin. And I’m right there with them.
POINT OF ACTION:
I chose Luke 22:39-42 as the key verses because of one phrase in verse 39. It says of Jesus, “as He was accustomed.” This was the last day that Jesus was going to be alive, He knew that, and He still just went to God! He went to the garden and He prayed. Because that’s what He always did. That was His custom. And yes, He was feeling all those human emotions and He prayed that if there was another way for God to fix things then that’s what He wanted, but Jesus “being in agony, prayed more earnestly” (22:44). Greg’s spent the last couple of Sundays talking about how we can practice “Silence and Solitude” in our prayer walk. I think it’s a great practical way to help us start to become accustomed to going to God. There are copies on the Welcome Center counter if you haven’t picked up a copy of this prayer guide. If you have other prayer guides that walk you through something, use that. The point is to help get yourself to the place where you don’t need a guide or a reminder, it just becomes your customary action to pray. And what does Jesus tell his disciples that night to pray for? “Pray that you may not enter into temptation” (22:40). Jesus knew (being fully man) that our flesh is weak and that temptation is easy to fall into, so he warns us twice even in this short passage (verses 40 and 46) to pray against it. So that’s what I think we should do.
PRAYER:
Lord, I pray that You help me fight the temptations of my flesh. God I know there are times when I feel like Satan must have asked for me, and I just pray that You strengthen my faith through these times. I don’t want the failure of my flesh to hinder what You have for me, and I know the only way to keep from failing is to rely on You. Lead me not into temptation and deliver me from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
WHO AM I?
I’m Jennifer Babb, and I love
Colorado. My family used to take annual
trips each summer, and we’ve been lucky enough over the past five years to go a
few more times. This picture was outside
of Leadville, where we rode the train, went white water rafting, and played a
round of golf on the highest elevated course in North America. God’s created some beautiful country and I
love being able to travel and see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment