Thursday, October 18, 2012

God's Love Letter


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
2 Timothy 3 (click the link)


REFLECTIONS:
You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:14-17, NASB)

I started with verse 14 as I wanted to insert some encouragement into this section!  Timothy wasn’t a seeker; he was someone who grew up knowing the word of God through his family and being mentored by Paul.  So I am choosing to speak to the followers of God who know His voice, can hear Him speak and follow His leading!  

As I sit here writing this devotional, I am struck by the awesomeness of God!  What I am taking away from these verses is that God cares enough about me to provide a way for me to learn about Him, get disciplined by Him, be loved by Him and in doing those things, carry out His purpose for my life because I choose to obey and come under His authority.  That has not always been easy for me nor do I particularly find it comfortable, but I like it. Yes I do!  

If you go back to verse 1, the end times are coming!  And if we do not know our God, His motives, His love, His discipline, His story, etc with 100% certainty, then we will be in big trouble!  Here are the first few verses… 

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these. For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (verses 1-7)
 

APPLICATION:
I don’t know about you, but I do not want to be one of those listed in verses 2-7!  I want my Jesus to say to me, “Well done good and faithful servant!”—and I have to tell you that I have a whole lot of work to do for that to happen!  It’s not about how much I read my Bible or how often I pray or if I go to church (although, I think those things are essential)—it’s about my heart!   

What are my motives?  
 
Do I really love my fellow man?  
 
Do I really want to heal and change and grow?  
 
Will I confess my sins before God and trusted friends?  
 
Will I allow God to come into those areas of my life that I don’t want to have exposed and allow Him to cleanse me of my sin?  
 
Will I let others truly walk along side of me in the midst of my pain or will I only give the illusion of doing so?  
 
Do I want God to reach down and take my heart and change it from a hardened lump of clay and soften it until I only see Him?  
 
Will I allow myself to be known, really known? 
 
Will I take the time to allow God to know me?  
 
God knows everything, but am I truly making Him my best friend?  
 
Do I sit at His feet the way I sit with my friends?  
 
Do I listen to His voice the way I listen to those around me?  
 
Do I seek after His attention the way I seek after the approval of man?  
 
Do I want Him to know me? 
 
Do I really want to know Him?  

God wants so much more from me than who I am right now!  It doesn’t mean I have to work to impress Him, it means He sees my life in the realm of possibility and He knows what I need to prepare for the rest of my life!  And I know that He wants more from me than I am currently giving Him and I get to choose to step into His authority and say, “YES Lord!”  He will continue wanting more from me until the day I am allowed to see Him face to face!  Oh what a glorious day that will be!  Come, sweet Jesus, come!
 
 
PRAYER:
Oh Lord… there are no words right now.  You are amazing and faithful and true!  And I love you so!  You have been my friend since before I ever became yours and you have drawn me into your presence in the midst of overwhelming pain.  You are teaching me how much I can trust You and love You and obey You!  Please help me to honor You with my words and my actions and my deeds and when I don’t, Father forgive me! Help me to hear Your voice more clearly tomorrow than I do today!  Amen
 
I included a video of how I’m feeling at this moment… I like this version because the one that is sung on Sunday morning disturbs me.  The words “sloppy wet kiss” is not how I want to see God (especially with my personal history).  I really appreciate how David Crowder sings it.



 
WHO AM I?
I am Dorene Froese, and this is one of the last pictures taken before my life changed (before my mom met my step-dad when I was 2).  This is when I knew my mom loved me; after this picture, life changed.  My mom says I loved this doll and took it everywhere with me.  When I see this picture, I picture God looking at me with that kind of tenderness and putting his hand over my heart and telling me that it will be ok!  I come from an incredibly broken childhood and brought into my adult life idols, coping mechanisms and issues that I learned as a child.  I have learned to overcome some deep wounding in order for God to enter into those dark areas of my life that seem untouchable (and I’m still working on that)!  I know I belong to Jesus because I can love!  He has given me an immense capacity to love and receive love and I’m so very thankful.  I am honored and humbled that God looked at this poor wretch and that He chose me!  Thank you, Lord Jesus, thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment