Thursday, June 6, 2013

When Circumstances Look Contrary, God Is Always Faithful



PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1 In my thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God. 

2 On the fifth of the month—it was the fifth year of the exile of King Jehoiachin— 3 the word of the Lord came to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, by the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians. There the hand of the Lord was on him.
 
4 I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.
 
10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a human being, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. 11 Such were their faces. They each had two wings spreading out upward, each wing touching that of the creature on either side; and each had two other wings covering its body. 12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. 13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.
 
15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.
 
19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.
 
22 Spread out above the heads of the living creatures was what looked something like a vault, sparkling like crystal, and awesome. 23 Under the vault their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body. 24 When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing waters, like the voice of the Almighty, like the tumult of an army. When they stood still, they lowered their wings.
 
25 Then there came a voice from above the vault over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. 26 Above the vault over their heads was what looked like a throne of lapis lazuli, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. 27 I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. 28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.
 
This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking. (Ezekiel 1, NIV)
 
 
REFLECTIONS:
I have to admit that after reading through Ezekial 1, I asked myself, “What in the world am I doing trying to write a devotional on a chapter so completely saturated with prophetic imagery?  I’m not a theologian.”  So I’m not going to pretend to be.  In all simplicity, reading through this chapter stirred in me an awe of God’s glory, His all-inclusive holiness, His mightiness, the faithfulness in His warnings, in sending His prophets over and over, and the sobering awareness that when He judges, it’s righteous, swift and firm.  
 
Then my thoughts drifted over to Ezekial, a man wanting to spend his life in service to God in the temple.  Yet living in the muck of Judah’s judgment, and being taken into captivity.  Reflect with me for a moment the reality in which Ezekial was living.   

“And I will make them a terror and an evil for all the kingdoms of the earth, as a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse in all places where I shall scatter them.  And I will send the sword, the famine, and the pestilence upon them until they are destroyed from the land which I gave to them and their forefathers.”  (Jeremiah 24:9-10) 

“Therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts, because you have not obeyed My words, behold I will send and take all the families of the north declares the Lord, and I will send to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, My servant, and will bring them against this land, and against its inhabitants, and against all these nations round about; and I will utterly destroy them, and make them a horror, and a hissing, and an everlasting desolation.”  (Jeremiah 25:8-9)

I’m pretty sure Ezekial had a different picture of serving the Lord, which didn’t include visions while in exile next to a Babylonian river.  I don’t know what Ezekial was thinking, or how tired and hungry he was or the multitude of things going on in his heart as he stood among the other exiles near the river Chebar.  I do know, it was there, in the midst of judgment, the hardship and heartache, God met Ezekial and the heavens were opened and the hand of the Lord came upon him.  Again, God not only met the one man, but through Him and the other prophets, God continued to speak to His people.   God is faithful.
 
“God hath a special care of His Church and people, when they are in the lowest and worst condition. They shall have a prophet, though in Babylon.”  (W. Green Hill, M.A.) 

A great commentary reference to read: http://illustrator.biblecommenter.com/ezekiel/1.htm

 
PRAYER:
Father, I pray that no matter what the circumstances of our lives we would always remember Your faithfulness and trust in who You are rather than assessing Your faithfulness based on the outcomes we think should be happening.  You are God alone, and we surrender to Your Sovereignty and say thank You for Your goodness, Your mercy, and the hope that is in You.


WHO AM I?
I’m Nicole Robinson, and my husband Rob and I just had the privilege of seeing the Sistene Chapel.  I couldn’t help, but think of the pictures depicted throughout as I read through Ezekial, some of various prophets recording visions and the words of the Lord.  It made me think of all those that were sent by God to direct His people, to direct us, and even reveal to us, what is to come.  God’s love is so great, and His faithfulness is for all generations.  Remember that when you look at your children or loved ones, God is faithful to ALL generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment