Thursday, June 27, 2013
Yielding to the Leadership of Others
PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you. (Hebrews 13:17, NIV)
REFLECTIONS:
A friend of mine recently became the pastor of a church in the Buda area. He's a wonderful guy—theologically sharp, wise beyond his years, outgoing, overflowing with ideas, full of love for Jesus and others. He's one of those guys that just exude pastoral leadership. You listen to him talk and think Man, any church would love to have this guy as a leader.
I ran into him at a restaurant not that long ago and asked him how things were going at his new church. He said: "Trying to pastor _____ church is like herding cats!" His reply made me laugh. Initially. But, then I began to ponder the reality of the situation, and my heart began to grieve for him.
Now, I suppose there may be some rare breed of cat on the face of the earth that will actually succumb to "herding." But most cats respond badly to any attempt to suggest that they might like to do this or that. Typically, they look at you like you're an idiot, and then do the exact opposite. (Have I mentioned that I hate cats?)
All too often, it seems, we in the church behave in the same way. The present mood in our country—in which all authority seems suspect, and all power is assumed to corrupt people—gives an extra excuse to certain people who want to do their own thing rather than submit in any way to what anybody else says.
And yet there are appropriate structures of responsibility within God's church; because, as we find in passage after passage, God regards his people as sheep in need of shepherds. Jesus himself is, of course, the true Shepherd (verse 20). But remember the story in John 21 of the resurrected Jesus calling Peter to act as a shepherd over his flock—"Feed my lambs." "Take care of my sheep." "Feed my sheep." Jesus hasn't stopped calling shepherds ever since.
The point, of course, is that shepherds are there to look after the sheep, not to "rule" them like a dictator, nor to use them for their own advantage, as so many politicians do in our supposedly free democratic republic. Insofar as the shepherds are doing their job, it is in the sheep's best interests to follow their lead. This isn't "patronizing" (the familiar charge today); it's common sense. Every Christian, every congregation, needs to recognize that God does indeed call people to lead, teach, instruct, and warn the flock, and that it is better all around if this task can be done joyfully.
A couple of final thoughts… First, the goal of Christian leadership is to be vigilant over the spiritual welfare of believers. Remember, the apostles' responsibility—"We will give our attention to prayer and ministry of the word" (Acts 6:4). Church leaders have been called and entrusted by God with the responsibility of praying for and defending the church, as well as teaching and equipping God's people for acts of service (Ephesians 4:11-16; 1 Peter 5:1-4). The message for us is that since church leaders are to have our best interests at heart, it is best to submit to them joyfully, trusting that they have God-given insight about what is best for us.
(I know I write this as one who serves on the pastoral staff of PRF, but I honestly continue to view myself as a regular Joe Schmo, just a typical member of this congregation. Though I have certain responsibilities at the church and have a particular role to play in the shepherding of this flock, I continue to live with the mindset that I am operating under the authority of Pastor Greg and the Elders.)
Finally, I think it's important to remember that God has called us to be a part of a new family. The church works best when it is living in the reality of this new, God-ordained, God-initiated "family" mindset. We really do have a new identity. We really are God's children. We really are brothers and sisters of one another. We really have been joined together in a covenant relationship that is meant to be deeper and stronger than any other relationship on the face of the earth. And, just as a family works best when everyone is trusting one another and supporting one another and "cheering" for one another, the church works best when we come together believing in one another. Leaders and congregation believing in and supporting one another. That's the ideal. That's the goal. That's when the church thrives. Let's help make it a reality by yielding to the leadership of those entrusted with the responsibility of shepherding our souls.
QUESTIONS TO PONDER:
Do you find it easier or harder to submit to leaders in the church compared to family members, people you work with, or secular authorities? Why? When you have submitted to leaders in the church, what has been the result?
WHO AM I?
I am Tres Sansom, and I'm the father of a little adrenaline junkie. When Abigail's big enough, I'm sure she'll want to ride the X-Scream alongside Jennifer Babb. But, until then she'll have to settle for simply being flipped around, tossed around, spun around, and zoomed around by adventuresome adults. In this picture her Uncle Alex (Kate's brother) is running down the sidewalk at top speed, helping her to "fly" like a superhero. As you can tell, she's having the time of her life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment