Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How Many Loaves Do You Have?


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Mark 8 (click the link)


KEY VERSE:
1 During those days another large crowd gathered. They had nothing to eat. So Jesus called for his disciples to come to him. He said, 2 "I feel deep concern for these people. They have already been with me three days. They don't have anything to eat. 3 If I send them away hungry, they will become too weak on their way home. Some of them have come from far away."

4 His disciples answered him. "There is nothing here," they said. "Where can anyone get enough bread to feed them?"

5 "How many loaves do you have?" Jesus asked.  (Mark 8:1-5a, NIRV)


REFLECTIONS:
I have to admit that when I first started working with Terry Cole and the Street Youth Ministry down on the drag, I had a little trepidation about my interactions with the homeless kids. I mean, what do I have in common with them? And what do I have to offer them?

My thought process went something like this: I don’t have a degree from seminary, so I can’t really preach to them. I didn’t major in psychology so I can’t really figure out what is going on in their internal landscape. I have never been homeless, so I have no idea what their lives are really like. But I knew I had a heart of compassion for them like Jesus had for the folks in Mark chapter 8, and something told me to just go and love on them.

My second time out on the streets I met a girl who was very bristly, very rough, even for a street kid. She was heavily under the influence of something, and she had a guitar and was singing and playing original tunes as kids gathered to receive the lunches we were giving out. I watched her for a minute or two, and noticed that if anyone came up to listen, she would shout obscenities at them. So people were giving her a pretty wide berth. I walked closer. What did I have to give her? Nothing but my presence, my ear. I stood in front of her.

“This is a song I wrote,” she said, “and if you don’t like it then #*@$ you!”  I smiled at her and told her that I write songs too, that I would love to listen. She continued to play then, a really well written song, full of heartache, swear words, the pain of a lost lesbian relationship, the difficulty of life on the streets, all with beautiful chords and rhythm, and lyrics that were pure poetry. The subject matter was difficult, and I noticed other people who were there to minister were uncomfortable with the darkness around this girl, and the tendency was to react with fear and walk away. When she was finished singing I told her how much I loved her song. Then she told me the story of the song, how she had been in love, but that her addictions had cost her everything, including that relationship. Then she played another song, and another. With each one I could see a little more of her personal heartbreak, and also who God had created her to be. So I listened, smiled and encouraged.

Later as the volunteers were gathering to talk about the day, this same girl came running up to us, screaming more obscenities. “Somebody has to help me! I just sat down in someone’s puke—someone get this vomit off of me!” People actually took a step back. I looked at her and said, “I’m a mamma—I’ll do it!” She came and squatted by a spigot, and I washed and scraped the vomit off of her bottom, squirting some anti-bacterial soap and scrubbing as best I could.

Before we left as we were saying good-bye to the kids, she came up and hugged me. A tight squeeze like a little girl holding on to a mother. And I prayed aloud the blessing of the Lord over her.

Jesus is asking all of us, each day, “How many loaves of bread do you have?” This day I had my presence to give. And my hands to clean filth off of a precious child who is deeply loved by God. No fancy words, not much wisdom. But I showed up, and then God took what I had on me that day and made it his expression of compassion for this girl.


POINT OF ACTION:
What have you got on you right now? A kind word? A hug? A few gallons of gas for a stranger? Your silent abiding presence while someone weeps? How many loaves of bread do you have? Ask Jesus to bring across your path today those people he feels compassion for. Then share your loaves, and let Jesus love them.


WHO AM I?
I am Suzanne Zucca, and I’m in love with a guy who changed my flat tire 28 years ago, and changed my life when he married me and gave me two beautiful daughters, Caitlyn, 16 and Carley, 14. His name is Nic, but he also answers to "the Greek god" or "the most interesting man alive." I am also in love with this Jewish guy who swept me off my feet when I was 6 years old (Jesus), and continues to amaze me with his love, grace and wild personality. I enjoy worshiping, writing, reading, cooking, camping and games. But more than anything else I like showing up and letting Jesus love people and expand his kingdom through me.

2 comments:

  1. Suz,
    Your devotional is beautiful and so inspiring and very spot on for me this morning. God intents to bless us and through us bless others with what is close at hand. Thanks for sharing this devotional and for your time spent with the street youth of Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing up... He definitely pours out His heart through you.

    ReplyDelete