PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Mark 9 (click the link)
KEY VERSE:
Jesus said to them, "What I'm about to tell you is true. Some who are standing here will not die before they see God's kingdom coming with power." (Mark 9:1, NIRV)
THE BIG IDEA:
When we see the kingdom of God has come with power, it changes EVERYTHING!
REFLECTIONS:
When I first read this passage, I was tempted to point out Peter's awkward attempts at being Jesus' PR manager as he shares his bright, yet humorous idea to put up private quarters in the form of tents for Jesus, Moses and Elijah. What an underwhelming offer. Imagine being Peter when God's voice boomed out of the clouds "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" Suddenly, there was no question who was in charge and who was simply lucky to be there.
It was also tempting to wax eloquent on the condition of the man who brought his ailing son to Jesus for relief from a demon that had plagued him for years. Poor guy—he had so long lived with the power that demon had over his son and the oppressive cloud that had settled over his family that he barely had the faith to “show up” with his son in hopes that Jesus could do something…anything. Imagine that moment of revelation when not only could Jesus do something about that pesky demon, but he went deep into the man’s heart with the words “everything is possible for one who believes.” Suddenly, there was no question whether Jesus could heal the body, but he could also heal the man’s unbelief, which, if we’re honest, can be a much more desperate condition.
Then I thought about the irony that while Jesus was giving the disciples insight into his coming death and resurrection, their simple minds heard that soon one of them would be his replacement as chairman of the board at Disciples Inc. They even pounded their collective chest a bit by telling him that he’d had a bit of competition in the “driving out demons in Jesus’ name” game, but not to worry, they shut it down. Imagine thinking you understood the rules of the game, only to find out you completely missed the point. Do you think they understood when he told them “anyone who wants to be first must be last, and the servant of all”? Do you think they got it when Jesus said “whoever is not against us is for us”, or that the “anyone” who might cause another believer to stumble could in fact be them? Suddenly their self-assurance about their own goodness seemed ugly and vulgar alongside Jesus’ image of people who would maim themselves rather than enter the kingdom of God with conflicting desires.
I was tempted to point out those things, and I guess I just did. To me the stories above expound on the idea found in verse 1: Some (even some of us) who are standing here (or sitting) will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God (where God is king) has come with power. The kind of power where, like Peter, we know we’re simply lucky to be here. The kind of power where, like the father, Jesus sees and heals our deepest need. The kind of power where, like the disciples, we see ourselves as truly needy.
AND… are you ready for it?
The kind of power where God speaks out loud,
and people are healed
and demons are driven out in Jesus’ name
and where we would go to such lengths to be like Jesus that even our own flesh is nothing compared to being with our lovely Jesus.
I want to see that kind of power,
and be that kind of person.
- Have you ever been like Peter, wanting to do something big for God? Could you tell at the time if it was your idea or God's? What happened?
- Have you ever been like the father, needing Jesus to take care of something but not really sure if he can? Have you ever asked God to help your unbelief? What happened?
- Have you ever been like the disciples, trying to be in God's inner circle? Is that stressful or freeing to you?
POINT OF ACTION:
Pick your biggest challenge right now and ask God to work good out of it. Even with all the messiness of life, ask Him to help your unbelief about His ability to intervene. Make a notecard to write briefly the situation, your prayer, and eventually, the way God moved. Then keep it somewhere special as a faith booster for next time you need some help with your unbelief.
WHO AM I?
Hi I'm Leigh Anne and I'm currently a stay at home mom of 3
big kids and one little guy. I enjoy reading, traveling, playing pretend and
dance party with the little guy, and listening to music. I've recently been
sucked into the Pinterest vortex and I also very much enjoy the show
Downton Abbey.
No comments:
Post a Comment