PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Mark 15 (click the link)
KEY VERSE:
With a loud cry, Jesus took his last breath. The temple curtain was torn in two from top to bottom. (Mark 15:37-38, NIRV)
REFLECTIONS:
In rendering the events leading up to the crucifixion, Mark gives us a window on the reactions and choices of those surrounding the trial, crucifixion and burial of the Son of God. At a distance it’s easy for us to mark out the villains and heroes, the sympathetic and the guilty. If I’m more honest, however, I can see myself in many of the responses that I would initially judge as being beneath me.
Pilate seems more interested in his reputation and position than in doing what’s clearly right and just. How do I handle situations that might frame me in an unfavorable light or threaten my standing at work or in the community? Am I too willing to compromise my integrity for the praise of men? Am I willing to do the right thing even when no one is looking?
Even the crowd's response of "Crucify Him" can find evidence in my own tendency to reject the authority of the One who holds title to my life. I put Jesus back on the cross anytime I pursue my own interests, follow my own plans and elevate the unholy trinity of Me, Myself and I.
I’m not even immune from, as the soldiers did, mocking Jesus by calling Him King but living my life otherwise. I even spit on Him when given the opportunity to introduce others to my Redeemer and am more concerned with their rejection than His. Even though I know He will never leave me or forsake me, I am too willing to forsake Him for my own selfish interests.
It is easy to pass over a seeming background figure like Joseph of Arimathea. A man who although being “a prominent member of the council” and having much to lose by even associating with this Jesus, went boldly to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. He then with great care prepared the body for burial and placed it in a tomb. I want to take great care of my Savior in the way I talk, the way I act, the way I represent Him in all my relationships. He, after all, has given me everything.
My transgressions have been forgiven and are remembered no more. The curtain was torn so that I might have access to the Holy of Holies and actually come into the throne room of Almighty God. I have new life. I’ve been given value and purpose because Divine blood was shed for me.
WHO AM I?
Hi, I’m Tom Fisk. I’m
a slow learner with whom God has been extremely patient. Sometimes it feels like I’m living my life
backwards. I had much success early on
and now I’m checking and bagging at HEB.
Maybe I’ll go back to school! The
reality of it is that now I’m experiencing God’s definition of success. I’m married to the love of my life, Shirley,
who can tell you that she has not always felt that way. I told you I was a slow learner. I’m just now learning to love God who in turn
loves her through me. We have three
daughters who have grown up to be remarkable young women. I’m not sure how that happened. Well, I do, but it had little to do with
me. We’re excited that the Creator of
the Universe wants to do a good work in and through us.
No comments:
Post a Comment