Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Life Transforming


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Romans 12 (click the link)


INTRODUCTION:
This chapter is so straightforward and rich that I can't leave anything out, so I have re-printed it in its entirety.  So, if you are like me, and sometimes you skim the scripture to get to the reflections, don't do it this time. Read the whole chapter. Again. Slowly. Savor it. Let it sink in. 

1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. 

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. 

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.  

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.  

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: 

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” 
 

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


REFLECTIONS:
Lately my desire has increased to live full in the Kingdom life—present consistently to the Presence of Jesus, connected to Him and manifesting His power and love in greater measure.  As I have been crying out for this increase, and pressing into Him, this thing of offering myself as a living sacrifice and not conforming to the pattern of this world but to be transformed by the renewing of my mind has been coming up.  Not with a condemning tone, more like a sweet melody wooing me to live with pureness of mind and heart that are cleared out and available for more of the good stuff of Him. 

Some of the things I have for a lifetime allowed my mind to take in as entertainment or comfort are losing their appeal as my hunger increases for greater measures of His life in and through me.  I still choose these things too often, especially when I am tired—they are easy, familiar, and fit so well with the patterns of this world. 

"Everybody's doing it" so to speak and it's just easier than being the weirdo that's seeking hard after something unseen. I have never wanted to be legalistic and still do not, I just really want more of His Kingdom and my mind is not renewed in these things—they seem to make less space for His life.


PRAYER:
Thank you, Jesus for the way you woo us into fully embracing all that You have for us.  It's so much better than what the world offers.  Transform my heart and mind to hunger with increased intensity for You alone.  Help me to see with holy clarity those things that crowd out the more of You I long for.


WHO AM I?
I'm Lisa Kirby and I like to make things of beauty and purpose out of old, broken, discarded or neglected things.




No comments:

Post a Comment