Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The God of All Comfort
PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
2 Corinthians 1 (click the link)
KEY VERSES:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. (2 Corinthians 1:3-11, NIV)
REFLECTIONS:
It seems I need comfort often, even when things are going fine. I seek it in many ways, some “healthy” some less so—food, movies, sleep, activity, the approval or affection of others. I recently gave away one of my favorite comfort sources. Some of you will totally understand, others will think I am weird, but my little dachshund, Annabelle, I have realized, provided a surprising measure of comfort. I didn’t really know how much until she was no longer around to happily receive my presence, curl up in my lap, excitedly skitter her little paws up to my car when I arrived home, or sneeze with delight when I scratched her tummy. (Okay, weird maybe, I know, but I’m exposing my heart here to illustrate a point and at the risk of being misunderstood and judged, so give me a break.)
One of the unexpected results of missing my little comfort source is that I find my heart feeling its need for intimacy with The Comforter. I find my heart longing in a more intense way for connection with Him. I guess to that extent, giving Annabelle away was a good thing. This experience and this chapter of Corinthians has me thinking about how little we really rely on The Comforter for comfort. How rarely we earnestly seek Him out to meet us where our hearts are needy. When we are afraid, lonely, tired, sad, anxious…What do you do for comfort? Honestly. Think about it for a sec.
The Word here says that God is “the Father of mercies and God of all comfort.” All. Comfort. Hmm. It also says that I will comfort others with the comfort I receive from God.
Something about the God-comfort that gets passed on to others, maybe in a way my dog-comfort or donut-comfort does not.
I have experienced this God-comfort. I have passed it on—seen it work comfort in someone who was in a hard parenting situation—a situation similar to one that I had found myself in not too long ago. A situation for which, like Paul in verses 8-11, I had no hope other than God himself as my answer. So I prayed knowing that the “God who raises the dead” was my ONLY hope. He came through for me as He did for Paul. I could comfort and encourage my friend with confidence that as we prayed that He would help them as well. I had seen Him take care of a situation that I had no ability within myself to improve.
As I continue to contemplate comfort, I am actually wondering if some of my comforts are, in reality, idols. I know I bring idolatry up a lot, but I think I am prone to thinking Jesus is Lord of my life when really I am lord and my comfort requirements tend to dictate my choices in life rather than the Lord. I want the capital L Lord to rule my life. I want the Comfort that is real, lasting, and transferable to my friends, life-giving rather than cheap substitutions that do nothing to connect me more deeply to God or to others.
POINT OF ACTION:
Ask God to show you the things and ways in which you seek comfort that may be taking the place of the Comfort He would otherwise provide. Ask Him to show you any ways that you may be maintaining lordship over your choices. Repent.
Also, prayerfully remember the times and situations where you have experienced the comfort of the Comforter. Ask the God of All Comfort to help you to comfort others with the comfort you received.
PRAYER:
Oh Jesus, I need you. I need you even to want to be comforted by you. My heart is lonely, anxious and tired so often. Keep moving my heart to long for your presence, your comfort, your Lordship more than any other thing.
WHO AM I?
I am Lisa Kirby, lover of animals, people and Jesus… but not necessarily in that order.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment