Friday, September 7, 2012

What Are the Rights of a Christian?


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1 Corinthians 9 (click the link)


KEY VERSES:
Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.  (1 Corinthians 9:19, NIV)


MAIN IDEA OF THE PASSAGE:
I would love to have known Paul. He was probably one of those guys you’d love to listen to while arguing a point with someone else, but you really didn’t want him arguing with you. Just about the time you thought you understood his point and could agree with him, he would turn it around and it would be upsetting or confusing. Somehow you’d always be wrong or missing the point. 

Paul in this chapter first argues that he has credentials and should have the right to benefit materially for his ministry and then states that he has not used this right nor would he want to use this right. He would rather die than allow someone to exchange material gain for his compulsion and calling to preach. Even though Paul is free, he has become “a slave to everyone to win as many as possible.” 

What are our rights as a Christian?

Did Jesus claim His rights as the Son of God? 

My daughter, Erin, and I did the mental exercise of asking the question, “Did Jesus make a practice of claiming His rights as the Son of God?” We thought about Jesus’ temptations/tests in the desert: you’re hungry, turn stones into bread and feed yourself, worship Satan and all the kingdoms of the earth will be yours, and jump from the pinnacle of the temple and be rescued by angels, which would show your glory. Jesus resisted taking any advantage of His position or His rights. 

Then we thought of when Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane. When they came to arrest Jesus, did He take advantage of His position or His rights? In Mathew 26:52-54, Jesus responded to the guards and His disciples:  

“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?”

Jesus submitted to the authorities and went to the cross of His own free will to accomplish the Father’s plan and “to win as many as possible.” Jesus continually laid down His rights to do what His Father called Him to do. 
 
Paul in his ministry had laid down his rights for the sake of the lost. In 1 Corinthians 9:20-23, he writes:  

“To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel that I may share in its blessings.”

Have you ever found yourself in an argument with a fellow Christian over some Biblical point of view or interpretation? Did you win the argument?  Did you get mad or did they? Was it your right to be right? Did it matter in the end? Worst, have you ever gotten into an apologetic argument with an agnostic or atheist? Wouldn’t love be a better right of Christ to claim versus a theologically right point of view? Wouldn’t love have a more lasting affect than a successful argument? 
 
I think freedom is one of God’s greatest gifts. He offers us freedom. God has the right to force us to be puppets to His will and use, but God offers us the freedom to accept His love or reject His love. Love offers freedom and doesn’t claim a right to get its way. Should we force our Christians rights on others? 
 
It’s so hard for me to not to argue and force my way. I’m right. I know what is right. Can’t others just follow me? When I’m at my worst, something usually happens that really humbles me and I realize that there was only One that was right and holy, Jesus. And the point here is that Jesus doesn’t claim His rights and so why should I? 
 
Of course, I could be wrong and just be confused by Paul’s argument and point of view.
 
 
PERSONAL REFLECTION:
I need to learn to lay down my rights every day on all issues and take up the cause of Jesus and make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. And when I don’t, I’ll ask God and my brothers and sisters for forgiveness. 
 
 
PRAYER:
God, tap me on the shoulder when I stiffen my neck and demand my rights. Break my heart for others that don’t need me, but need to see you through me. Keep me from being a stumbling block to others.
 
 
WHO AM I?
My name is David Norris and I have another story from our Israel trip. Forgive me. This picture is of an olive tree in the Garden of Gethsemane. These olive trees are believed to be 900 years old. Look close and you’ll see new limbs coming out of the old trunks. Our guide made the claim that an olive tree can’t be killed. You can cut them down to the ground and new limbs will grow. This is symbolic of God’s plans. You can’t kill God’s plan; God can graft in new limbs into the plan; God’s plan will continue to bring new life. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment