Thursday, January 17, 2013
And Who Are You?
PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Exodus 3 (click the link)
KEY VERSES:
Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (Exodus 3:13-14, NIV)
REFLECTIONS:
While caring for his father-in-law's flocks in Midian, Moses spies a bush that is burning… yet isn't consumed by the flames. As he approaches this strange sight, a Voice speaks to him from the bush, and he realizes that he's in the presence of the living God. This is the very God who had made promises to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—promises of blessing and abundance. The living God tells Moses that he has been present all along—he has seen the misery of his people in Egypt, he has heard their cries for deliverance. And now, he's ready to do something about it. Moreover, God tells Moses that he—Moses—will play a prominent role in leading the Israelites out of slavery.
To this, Moses responds, "Who am I to lead them out?" Moses is right, who is he? He had attempted to help the slaves in the past, but had failed miserably. He is no longer welcomed in Pharaoh's house nor by his own people. How can he possibly negotiate a liberation? Simply put: he is not qualified.
To this, God responds to Moses, "I will be with you." Moses is wrong. The issue is not Moses' qualifications but God's Presence. God essentially says to Moses, "It's not you, it's me! I am with you and that is all that matters!"
Moses is quite reluctant about this whole burning bush calling, so he comes at God with another question: "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" This question about God's name is much deeper than it first appears, for God has already identified himself to Moses as the God of his father and forefathers. Moses already plans to introduce God to the Israelites with this same introduction. By it the Israelites will know who, or better, which god, Moses is talking about when he says "the God of your fathers." The question of God's identity is not the issue. Moses and the Israelites know which god is the god of their fathers.
So why the name question? When Moses asked "Who am I that I should go?" and God said "It's not you but me" Moses' next question is essentially "Who are you to be sending me before Pharaoh? Who are you to be promising deliverance? Who are you to set Israel free from Pharaoh?" The question about God's name is not so much a question about identity as it is about power, ability, character, qualifications, authority, etc. Down in Egypt, Pharaoh was the name. Moses is asking, "What is your name compared to Pharaoh's name?"
God must have figured that it was a fair question, for instead of rebuking Moses for asking such a question God answers the question, "I AM WHO I AM." Now, I'm no Hebrew scholar, but from what I've read, this is the first person singular imperfect of the Hebrew verb "to be." As an imperfect it connotes both future action and continuous action. Thus, some translations emphasize the future, “I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE,” and others the continuous, “I AM WHO I AM.” It is difficult for our English to do justice to this simultaneous presently continuous yet future dynamic. But the main point is this—the action/being of God is present in this moment and continues out into eternity. Israel's name for God—the one they considered too sacred to pronounce—is the third person singular imperfect of the verb "to be." Thus, God calls himself "I AM" and Israel calls God "HE IS." Israel's name for God is a witness that God did not lie when God said, "I AM." Israel testifies, "HE IS!"
I know what you are thinking: "This I-AM-ing, I-WILL-BE stuff is getting too philosophical for a devotional this early in the morning." And, you are right! The question of God's name is not a philosophical question, but a power question. In Egypt, Pharaoh is. In Egypt, Pharaoh has constructed a reputation and reality that asserts Pharaoh always will be. Reality in Egypt is Pharaoh today, Pharaoh tomorrow, Pharaoh till the day you die, and Pharaoh for your kids and grandkids after you. Pharaoh was, is, and will be. It's his world.
When God says "I AM and I WILL BE," he is challenging the world that Pharaoh has built. In essence, God is saying "I AM and Pharaoh is not!" God goes on to tell Moses that not only has he heard the Israelites' crying and seen their oppression, but that he knows that Pharaoh will not let them go except under the compulsion of a mighty hand. God says "I will stretch forth my hand and strike the Egyptians. Pharaoh will let you go." "Strike" is the same verb as the Egyptian beating the Hebrew and Moses beating the Egyptian to death. God has the power and the authority and the will to shatter Pharaoh's world and to liberate the Israelites from Pharaoh's bondage. God is and will be; Pharaoh is soon to be not.
The imposing "I AM" of God cannot be managed or squeezed by Pharaoh (or Israel for that matter). God is making his world and Pharaoh cannot impinge upon it. God's will—and not Pharaoh's will—shall be done, in heaven, on earth, and even in Egypt. Pharaoh is no match for God. Pharaoh cannot keep God out of Egypt, cannot keep God from shattering Egyptian reality. God says "I AM" and liberated Israel testifies "HE IS!"
In the Gospel of John we find Jesus laying claim to being the embodiment of the Divine I Am. Jesus makes seven "I am" statements about himself—I am the bread of life; light of the world; gate; good shepherd; resurrection and the life; way, truth, and life; and true vine. Once, Jesus simply declares, "I am" (8:28). I especially want to focus on "I am the resurrection and the life" (11:25). Jesus is saying that not even death can squeeze or contain him. Death may be a reality, but it is not the ultimate reality. The "I am" of Jesus is greater than even the "I am" of death.
There are many "Pharaohs" in our world, each positing a reality that is and always will be, at least within the span of our lifetime. "Pharaohs" come in many shapes and sizes, from institutions (even Christian ones) to governments to employers to individuals to corporations, to sickness, disease, and death, etc. All "Pharaohs" have two things in common. First, as noted, they all posit a reality that simply is and will always be. The United States is and will always be the determining nation in the world. Congress is and always will be the ruling body in our country. My body, is and will always be trapped by paralysis. Jason, a young man I recently met, is a scared, drug addicted, runaway living on the streets and will always be. You get the picture.
The other thing all "Pharaohs" have in common is absolutely crucial to remember: they are no match for the "I AM" of God. All "Pharaohs" have a day coming in which they will no longer be. Their worlds are real but not ultimate. Yahweh, embodied and revealed in the exodus and most fully in Jesus, is, was, and will be. God cannot be squeezed, managed, or hemmed in—even by "Pharaoh" death. "Pharaohs" pass. God crumbles their worlds and brings them to pass. God tells Moses "I AM." Israel testifies "Yahweh" (HE IS). The Church echoes in proclamation, "HE IS RISEN!"
Our challenge is to live according to the ultimate reality of God as opposed to false "Pharaoh realities." There is only one ultimate throne in the land, even in Egypt, and it belongs not to Pharaoh but to God. God de-thrones all pretenders. God is. That is the gospel truth that liberates us from the dominion of posturing Pharaohs. It is the gospel truth that needs to inform and shape all of our living. God is. Beware of bogus thrones.
This is the reality we proclaim and come with which we come in contact during worship. This is why worship is such a critical component of the Christian life—where else will we get a vision of the ultimate reality that God in Christ IS and Pharaoh is not? So let us not forsake meeting together around the throne of the One who truly IS.
PRAYER:
Father, you are indeed the great I AM—the living God who is and always will be. Help me to believe this truth. I find it so easy to lose sight of who you really are. It's so easy for me to buy into the false realities of our culture, to stay enslaved to the bogus "Pharaohs" in my life. Strengthen me to remember that you are the One who truly IS. I want to live this day according to your I AM reality.
WHO AM I?
My name is Tres Sansom, and I really miss fishing. I've had a lifelong love of fishing but, for whatever reason, it's been a good long time since I've put a hook in the water. Probably three or four years, at least. Getting a chance to go fishing is just one of the many reasons I'm hoping and praying for some rain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment