Friday, January 25, 2013

Breathe IT In—Selah



PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
Psalm 46 (click the link)


KEY VERSES:
1        God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble…
 
4        There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
The holy dwelling places of the Most High.
5        God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns…
 
10      “Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
(Psalm 46:1, 4-5, 10, NASB)

 
REFLECTIONS:
There are a few things that strike me about this Psalm. Some parts have been with me since I was a teenager and some were revealed more recently. I love that God speaks to something more than once and sheds new light on what I think I already know.

First, the introduction for the Psalm gives the choir director instructions to set the song to Alamoth—a high voice, soprano, sung by virgins. I always thought this was kind of weird, but the song was set aside to be pure, without blemish. It makes me think—what a lovely way to write, or speak, or sing to our refuge and strength—our God. With purity and without blemish. Even the harps are tuned to alamoth when the Ark of the Covenant is brought to Jerusalem (1 Chronicles 15).

The second thing is the rest of verse one:  

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”

This verse is one of those memory verses from my high school youth group. If my memory serves me, it was on a poster on our youth room wall to remind us of to whom we call.

The Lord God is our very own private, meant just for us, refuge—a literal or figurative place of shelter.

God is our strength—our stronghold, our fortress, our mighty power.

A very present help—God is abundantly available for help in trouble—in a tight spot, upon meeting with an adversary.

And truly after we know that God is abundantly available to help us, has provided shelter and a fortress when we are in a tight spot, how could we be afraid?  “Therefore we will not fear…” (verse 2).
 
Selah (the break or musical interlude, it could also lead to a crescendo… This is where we take a breath and breathe in what God offers. Our own personal crescendo! Remember this is music.)
 
Third part: So here is one of the new revelations. I have written before that I am filled up when many things come together from different places to confirm what I believe scripture may be telling me. Now, I know I could be completely wrong, but I don’t think it is bad pizza. :) 

“There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved…” (verses 4-5)

Throughout the New Testament we read about the Holy Spirit dwelling in us and being our present help. In Genesis we read that we are created in the image of God.  I wondered could these verses in Psalm 46 possibly mean that we could be the ones making glad the city of God the dwelling place of the Most High?
 
Recently I was reading everything I could look up in scripture about the tree of life and as I re-read the first part of Revelation 22 a little burst of light came for Psalm 46. Revelation 22 begins: “And he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street…” (verses 1-2)
 
This river is clear as crystal—pure and without blemish, it brings life from the Lord, it brings life to the edges of its bank. The river path is bold… down the middle of the street and it flows. It is not stagnant. We get to be in life with God.  Utterly amazing!
 
At a quiet small group worship time recently, we sung the words, “I will enjoy You my God.” Yes, we do get to enjoy God: His fullness that resides in us; the ways He provides for us; His water of life.
 
Last year we read devotions on Paul’s many letters and how we are called to be firm and unwavering in our faith. Be opened—Ephphatha! to what God has for us and to invite and welcome in the Holy Spirit to dwell within and among us. 
 
Dwell. I about jumped out of my seat last Sunday when Greg said, “Dwell.” Tabernacle—the residence of the Lord.  If all of the things that I’ve read and all that has happened recently (a few not mentioned here) are pointing to the same thing, I believe that’s us.  We are the Lord’s dwelling place. We are the tabernacle in the New Covenant.  No wonder we have a fortress, abundant help in our tight spot. 
 
Selah. It’s time to breathe again.
 
Lastly Psalm 46 gives us quoted scripture from God. I have not done an exhaustive search through all 150 Psalms, but I did find a handful of chapters that had quotes from God, so it seems special attention is due! He says: 

“Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (verse 10)

“Cease striving and know” in good ole Greek transliteration… “Let go, relax, be absolute that I am God.” Like, really! Why would you look anywhere else? The Lord will be recognized and raised up among the Gentiles and the Jews—and really over the entire earth. 
 
Hallelujah!
 
 
PRAYER:
Lord, when we are so inclined to open up and see Your glory, we know that You reside with us on the Mountaintop and in our valley of tight spaces. I pray your River of Life doesn’t just trickle through me Lord, let it rush in, cleanse the impurities within me and make Your dwelling place. And as Your dwelling place, how in the world can I keep You all tucked inside? Please show me Lord how to unlock my doors and let You reign as You flow. Show me Lord how this day can be made glad in Your holy city. 
 
 
WHO AM I?
Most days since the beginning of the year I have been listening to this song by City Harmonic called “Mountaintop.” It reminds me of who I am in Christ—no mater what!
 



Here’s the chorus:

We’ve been to the Mountaintop,
We’ve seen the Glory of our God, He is here
In the valley low, He’s here
I feel it in my bones, Our God, here and now
We are the body of our God.

This photo was taken after our descent from Mt. Karkom in Israel’s Negev Desert. I feel like Lesa Wheat, photographer extraordinaire, captured my elation that came during our journey through the wilderness and reaching the mountaintop. <3 gayle norris

 

No comments:

Post a Comment