Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Arise, Shine


PASSAGE FOR THE DAY:
1        “Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see.
For the glory of the Lord rises to shine on you.
2        Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth,
but the glory of the Lord rises and appears over you.
3        All nations will come to your light;
mighty kings will come to see your radiance.
 
4        “Look and see, for everyone is coming home!
Your sons are coming from distant lands;
your little daughters will be carried home.
5        Your eyes will shine,
and your heart will thrill with joy,
for merchants from around the world will come to you.
They will bring you the wealth of many lands.
6        Vast caravans of camels will converge on you,
the camels of Midian and Ephah.
The people of Sheba will bring gold and frankincense
and will come worshiping the Lord.” (Isaiah 60:1-6, NLT)
 
 
REFLECTIONS:
Even though it comes at the beginning of a new year, the month of January can feel a little dreary. The holidays are past. Springtime still feels miles away. And the days can be quite cold and gray, even here in Spicewood. In the gray days of life like these, we must learn to rejoice in God's light. Remember that Isaiah's words come at a horrible time in Israel's history—the Babylonian captivity. When the Lord instructs Israel to “Arise… Let your light shine for all to see” and later in the passage promises the nation's prosperity, I wonder how well the Israelites received this news. The people have always had a strong connection to the land. In fact, their journey to and eventual capture of the Promised Land has shaped much of their historical identity. Psalm 137, written about this time period in history, illustrates the emotion of the Israelites with images of weeping by the rivers of Babylon and being unable to sing the Lord's songs in a foreign land. We can easily imagine the Israelites being able to relate to the first half of Isaiah 60:2—“Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth.” But the rest of the words may have felt like salt water to a parched mouth—the promise of luxury in the face of poverty.
 
Yet, the promises of God are realized, though perhaps not in a timetable that suits the people of Israel. This passage calls us to trust God. A command accompanies God's promises in this passage: arise and shine. In the midst of darkness and seemingly impossible odds, God's word calls us to trust in attitude and action. Many times I have been unhappy with the timing of God's help—of the fulfillment of promises in my life. In the face of darkness and depression I believe God commands us to arise and shine; then the Lord will meet us in that place to sustain and strengthen us.
 
 
POINT OF PONDER AND PRAYER:
What is the darkness over your life right now? Pray for strength to hold onto God's promises and to arise and shine in the midst of it all.
 
 
WHO AM I?
I am Tres Sansom, and I am looking forward to some sunshine. I know we need the rain, and I know many of you enjoy the cooler weather, but I need the sun. My dad calls me a human solar panel and my wife and Sky Streety joke about me sunning like a lizard. :) I don't really know how to explain it, but the sun just seems to help me feel better. And, since it was too cold in Maine for me to sit outside, it's now been more than two weeks since I've been able to soak in the sun. Maybe that's why I'm even more cranky and old fart-like than normal. :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment